Bye George! See yah later

OEF! last week we had a week off to relax a little bit and recharge our batteries. So no school, no assignments, no tasks, all fun no games and loooool right wait for it.



So easter was coming nearby and 3 of my roommates decided that they would go to Cape Town for a week to go on a real holiday. Max and I decided to stay in George because we both wanted to work for school so we could just FINALLY finish our assignments or at least make a good attempt haha

The weekend started. Friday I dropped my friends off at the KFC where they would be picked up by a bus that drives to George every now and then. It was at 6 in the morning so I actually just went back to bed when I came home hehe. Afterwards Max and I worked for school the whole day and went to the supermarket. Really weird to be with just 2 people when you are used to living with 4 or 5 after two months but it was actually really relaxing.

The first weekend flew by as we went on like some kind of beach stroll as we call it in Belgium 'een kroegentocht' but then without beer because one of us had to drive and the other is a social compagnon (no lol the other one did drink hehe). We visited Wilderness beach to have a picknick and walked a little bit among the beach. Unfortunately it started to rain so we went back home and went bowling instead 😎 (btw I lost like a maniac and wasn't very sportive about it at all #badloser). On Sunday we visited Herrold's baai and Mossel baai to explore the area a little bit and have a nice relaxing weekend with lots of food and hikes.

During the week I especially worked on my assignments for school and thank god I did it because now I can proudly tell you that my thesis almost came to an end just like a few other assignments that are due in May. I can tell you that I'm still stressing about school and passing and fixing my life together because, like a couple of you know, I'm starting in Gasthuisberg in July so please God prepare me proparly so I don't make a fool of myself :'). Normally I will be graduating in June and this experience in South-Africa is something I really wanted to do because I think it will prepare me a lot more for my life than when I would just do an internship in Belgium. I've learned so much a lot and I try to put these experiences in my schoolwork as well.


Then easter weekend arrived. Me and Max had been looking forward to this all week to just relax and put our minds to something else than school. Easter weekend is a weekend where people warned us about because apparently everybody would get drunk and just drive their car (??????). So Ryan, a South African guy that lives in George, invited us to join him, Georgi and Emily (2 lovely ladies from the UK) to go on a weekendtrip to the small and big Karoo, Prince Albert, Fransmanshoek, Vleesbaai (yes lol meatbay in English) and a compleeeetely lovely organized road trip. Of course we said yes!

I really love love George and the nature and everything about it but I really wanted to get away for a little time just to leave the residence and get some other environment. Friday our day started early as we set off to Fransmanshoek and Vleesbaai. The sun was shining and the weather was already hot in the morning so it was just the perfect day to go for a stroll at the beach and a swim. When we arrived in Fransmanshoek I saw AGAIN a really lovely view. I can't believe how many beautiful things you can see in South Africa. Ryan told us a story about a French ship that sank because it crashed against the high rocks of Fransmanshoek. Back in those days you didn't have an uber so they walked THE WHOLE WAY with all of their materials to Cape Town lol??? It took them 13 weeks to get there... after the story we looked around and walked on the rocks. Of course I was wearing a dress and flipflops hahaha really adventurous to start rock climbing like that :') IDIOT but I DID see dolphins!!! or at least their fins hehehe

The rest of the day we just enjoyed the beach, caught some waves (most of it with my eyes and mouth but okay) and then went for dinner at Mosselbaai where Ryan took us to a lovely restaurant at the beach where you could see the sunset and just the lovely view of South-Africa.

On saturday our day started really early and Max and I were SO prepared to leave at 7 in the morning (please notice the sarcasm in my voice). After Ryan brought me, Max and Georgi some coffee we woke up and stopped at a point where you could see the sun rising up behind the mountains of George. It was too beautiful to catch on camera. We enjoyed it for a little while and then went further with our adventure of Easter. Georgi and Ryan know each other through some people they both know at the hospital. We met Georgi and Emily on the residence and they introduced us to Ryan on our first hike here in George. After that we kind of kept in contact and look at us now, strolling together through the mountains. We took the Swartbergpass over the mountains, over a gravel road that was seriously gonna kill our Hyundai so thank you for your 4x4 Ryan hehe. You could see endlessly over the horizon and the nature and there was absolutely NO SOUND but the wind.

Our journey brought us to a fig farm where the owner told us the story of her farm. The farm had already been in the family for 6 generations and had made a lot of progress during the years. They still do everything like in the good old days but with a little modern twist to keep up with the world. i had never eaten a fig before but I also wasn't really excited to taste it because I can tell you, it doesn't look that attractive haha. My opinion obviously changed when I eat one because jeeeezes they were good! Though I do prefer the dried ones over the fresh ones for some kind or reason...

After the fig farm we drove further to our 'little' house where we would stay for the night. We got our things to braai as well as some good old wine and beer and went to meet Peter, the owner of our guesthouse called the "Aloë guesthouse" in Prince Albert. It a really lovely place with a big ass garden and a lot of ground. We settled in and started the braai almost immediately because of course, we are always hungry. During our 'cooking' we made a new ginger friend called 'Alberta' or 'Rikki' for the friends. A little kitty that found her way to us just because she knew we were cooking meat. I have no self control when it comes to animals so I gave her food and petted her almost all night hahaha BUT I wasn't the only one that liked her! Max was also very fund of her and here is the evidence:
On sunday we had a big Easter surprise hahaha Ryan's tyre died hahaha yeeeeeeey real life western experience hahaha so he changed it and our speed limit got limited to 80 km/h 😂All things considered he could still laugh with it so we actually just went on with our trip but made a little adjusments to make up for the time we would lose on driving home. We got some breakfast at a hotel and started our trip into the big karoo. The big Karoo looks an awfully lot like the part in the movies from America where you see nothing at all in the distance than sand and mountains and like 1 street. It was an awesome experience and I felt like I was an actor in an american movie looool. 


Our way home was actually very relaxing. We stopped at Oudtshoorn at the buffelsdrift game lodge where we had our 'lunch' also called 'linner' (haha) because it was already 5 in the afternoon and enjoyed it while we were watching real life hippo's, 'springbokkies' and elephants in the distance.

At the beginning of the week I was scared that Max would get sick of me hahaha because I'm a lot of personality to take on your own for one week all by yourself. Especially after my bad bad weeks of homesickness and shitty feeling about a lot of things, I didn't really feel like I would be good company. I was still a little bit off last friday but during the week I noticed that I became my happy self again so everything went awesome! Now I'm feeling all happy and fit again, able to act like myself and ready to take on the next couple of weeks 👊

THANKS for this week, I needed it























Reacties

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

Hello Cape Town

shit just got real

#GeorgeGoals